A12 MONDAY, AUGUST 26, 2019 LATIMES.COM
disappointed,” Sheriff Alex
Villanueva said in an inter-
view with The Times on Sun-
day. “We intend to hold the
individual responsible for
breaking the law and most
importantly for betraying
the community.”
The dramatic twist in the
case came after days of fruit-
less searches for a gunman,
which focused largely on the
apartment building from
where Reinosa claimed the
bullets had come.
When Reinosa put out
the call for help, there was no
choice but to assume he was
telling the truth and set in
motion the massive re-
sponse that included lock-
ing down the apartment
building overnight to con-
duct a thorough, door-to-
door search, the sheriff said.
Although it soon became
clear that the deputy’s story
did not add up, investigators
couldn’t jump to conclu-
sions, the sheriff added. On
Saturday, he said Reinosa
confessed when investiga-
tors confronted him with the
evidence that indicated the
shooting was bogus.
“He admitted to cutting
the holes in his shirt,” Vil-
lanueva said. “We know the
‘what’ and the ‘how.’ We
don’t know the ‘why.’ ”
Reinosa’s motive for fak-
ing an assassination at-
tempt remained unknown,
but Lancaster Mayor R. Rex
Parris said in an interview
that the deputy had been
struggling in his first year in
the field — a probationary
training period that all dep-
uties must complete before
becoming full-fledged depu-
ties.
“He was not advancing
through the training pro-
gram at an adequate pace,”
Parris said. “There had been
a lot of attention on him.”
Parris declined to elabo-
rate further on Reinosa’s
performance, citing police
privacy laws, but said the
deputy was scheduled to be
transferred from the Lan-
caster station and specu-
lated that he had been un-
happy about the pending
move.
Word that one of their
own had gone from shooting
victim to fraud brought an-
gry responses from different
corners of the Sheriff ’s De-
partment.
“Angry. Embarrassed.
Furious. Unbelievable.
Ashamed. These are some of
the words circulating our
station’s hallways since last
night as our deputies try to
wrap their minds around”
the news, read a message
posted Sunday morning on
the Facebook page of the
Lancaster sheriff ’s station.
“Not only does it bring
discredit to the department
and our deputies, it jeopar-
dizes the trust and good
faith we ask for from the
public and elected officials,”
union officials representing
deputies wrote in the state-
ment. “Worst of all, it’s a slap
in the face of deputies who
have been shot in the line of
duty.”
Reinosa had been with
the Sheriff ’s Department for
a year and joined the Lan-
caster station in May for pa-
trol training.
On Wednesday, the depu-
ty made a radio call from the
helipad at the sheriff ’s sta-
tion’s parking lot and re-
ported that two shots had
been fired at him from a
nearby apartment building,
authorities said. Reinosa
then went back to the sta-
tion purportedly to receive
medical help.
Reinosa was taken to a
hospital, where doctors
found no obvious injuries
that backed up his claims of
having been shot. A small
wound to his shoulder and
the holes in his shirt were
unconvincing.
Nonetheless, the story
took hold that Reinosa had
been shot and his vest saved
his life.
“He is doing great, thank-
fully,” Sheriff ’s Capt. Todd
Weber said at the time. “The
wound was minor and he’s
been treated and he’s doing
well, in high spirits.”
The incident drew a mas-
sive police presence, with a
SWAT team and armored
vehicles called to the area.
Deputies blocked off the
apartment building, believ-
ing the shooter to be trapped
inside.
The message posted
Sunday on the sheriff ’s web-
site was unapologetic about
the response.
“Our deputies responded
to a cry for help and did ex-
actly what they have been
trained to do to protect our
civilian staff, residents and
community. Our community
and other first responder
partners worked side by side
with us to move quickly, ef-
fectively and efficiently.
There is no shame in that,”
the statement read.
The case will be turned
over to the Los Angeles
County district attorney,
and Reinosa could face
charges of filing a false re-
port about a crime, Vil-
lanueva and other sheriff ’s
officials said. Reinosa has
been relieved of duty, a sher-
iff ’s spokeswoman con-
firmed.
“Of course we’re all em-
barrassed. There’s no doubt
about that,” Parris, the Lan-
caster mayor, said Sunday.
“At the same time, I’m grate-
ful we don’t have a sniper
running around. And I’m
really proud of how the Sher-
iff ’s Department handled it.
There was no attempt to
cover it up.”
Parris said a sheriff ’s offi-
cial called him about 9 p.m.
Saturday to tell him investi-
gators had confirmed that
night that the shooting was
a hoax. Sheriff ’s officials
then hastily arranged an un-
usual 11 p.m. news confer-
ence to announce their find-
ings.
“Rather than delay re-
porting what we learned for
another day, I felt that it was
urgent that we share the
truth with the public,” Vil-
lanueva said in a statement
released by the department
Sunday. “After investigators
were able to establish the
facts, we were compelled to
share the disappointing
truth in our wish to be trans-
parent with the public.”
Parris said he was “unre-
pentant” about comments
he made in the immediate
aftermath of the apparent
shooting about the apart-
ment building from which
Reinosa claimed the sniper
had shot.
The building, which over-
looks the sheriff ’s station
parking lot and is used in
part by a nonprofit organi-
zation to house people with
mental illness, is a safety
hazard, he said.
Parris said he expected
the building’s landlord
would “work with us” either
to install bulletproof win-
dows that cannot open or to
erect a barrier blocking the
view of the station.
Deputy admits to faking shooting
A ROOKIEdeputy’s claim that he had been shot by a sniper in Lancaster prompted a massive manhunt for the would-be killer.
KTLA
[Sniper,from A1]
FORT LAUDERDALE,
Fla. — Defense attorneys
said Sunday that arrests are
expected shortly in the case
of a Florida nursing home
where 12 patients died after
its air-conditioning power
went out amid sweltering
heat following Hurricane
Irma in 2017.
Lawrence Hashish told
the Associated Press that
his client is one of three
nurses, in addition to an ad-
ministrator, expecting to be
charged in connection with
the deaths. Irma, which blew
through Florida on Sept. 10
of that year, knocked out a
transformer linking the
main air-conditioning unit
to the power grid at the Re-
habilitation Center at Holly-
wood Hills, sending temper-
atures soaring.
Hashish said the attor-
neys don’t yet know what
specific charges would be,
but he expected that they
probably would entail some
form of manslaughter of-
fense.
Twelve deaths at the cen-
ter had been ruled
homicides. Police in the city
of Hollywood have been in-
vestigating the deaths for
nearly two years, but no
charges have been filed.
A voice message and
email left by the AP for police
were not immediately re-
turned Sunday.
Hashish said his client
and the others are merely
scapegoats.
“The real crime is that
the state is looking to blame
selfless caregivers and the
evidence will show that no
crime was committed,” he
said in a telephone inter-
view.
His co-counsel, Ilham
Soffan, said their client was
turning herself in Monday.
The attorneys said they
didn’t have any further de-
tails about expected charges
and planned to negotiate a
bond agreement before an
expected hearing Monday
morning.
Patients began dying at
the rehabilitation center
days after the hurricane
struck Florida amid wide-
spread power outages. In-
vestigators said the center
did not evacuate patients as
temperatures inside began
rising, even though a fully
functional hospital was
across the street. The
home’s license was sus-
pended days after the storm,
and it was later shuttered.
Paramedic Craig
Wohlitka and other para-
medics from Hollywood’s
fire rescue department testi-
fied last year that they were
haunted by the deaths of pa-
tients there.
Fire Lt. Amy Parrinello
said one of the female pa-
tients had a temperature of
107.5 degrees, the highest she
had ever seen in her 12-year
career. Later that morning,
she said, another patient
topped that with a tempera-
ture so high it couldn’t be
measured.
Wohlitka testified that
the crew decided to start
checking other patients who
hadn’t been reported as ill.
He said they saw a woman in
a room who appeared sick,
though a nursing home em-
ployee said staffers had just
checked her and she was
fine.
In the aftermath of Irma,
the deaths made national
headlines and sparked a po-
litical backlash.
Months afterward, law-
makers passed a bill requir-
ing backup power sources in
Florida nursing homes and
assisted living facilities. The
legislation requires such fa-
cilities to have a generator
capable of keeping nursing
homes and assisted living fa-
cilities at 81 degrees or lower
for at least four days.
Hashish declined to iden-
tify his client by name, but
said she was a full-time
nurse at another facility and
was just picking up a shift
that day.
“They called her. They
said, ‘Can you come and
help? We’re short-handed,’
and look what she walked
into,” he said.
A WOMANis transported from the Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills in Hollywood, Fla., in Septem-
ber 2017 as patients are evacuated after the nursing home lost its air conditioning because of Hurricane Irma.
Amy Beth BennettSouth Florida Sun-Sentinel
Arrests expected in Irma deaths
Hurricane disabled air
conditioning, leading
to patient fatalities at
Florida nursing home.
associated press
NEW YORK — A lawyer
for former Rep. Gary Acker-
man on Sunday denied ac-
cusations that the New York
Democrat is a sexual preda-
tor who violated a teenager
at a Boy Scout camp five
decades ago.
In a lawsuit filed this
month in state Supreme
Court in Manhattan, Acker-
man, 76, is accused of abus-
ing a then-17-year-old —
identified only as “John Doe”
— while Ackerman was a di-
rector at the Ten Mile River
Camp near Narrowsburg, in
upstate New York. Acker-
man was 23 at the time.
“In over 30 years of public
service, there has never been
any accusation of this kind
or indeed of any wrongdoing
in the Congressman’s ca-
reer,” attorney Oscar Miche-
len said in an emailed state-
ment. He added his client
would “vigorously” fight the
charges and seek to get the
case dismissed.
In late 1966, according to
the suit, Ackerman lured the
teen into his car so he could
drive him to an abandoned
road, where he “attempted
to force Mr. Doe to perform
oral sex on him and force-
fully performed oral sex on
Mr. Doe.”
The suit, which seeks un-
specified damages, says the
plaintiff has suffered “seri-
ous and severe psycholo-
gical injuries and emotional
distress, mental anguish,
embarrassment and humili-
ation.”
A local chapter of the Boy
Scouts of America is also
named as a defendant based
on a claim that it failed “to
take any steps to keep the
dangerous predator away
from the young men of the
camp.”
In a statement Sunday,
the Boy Scouts said a check
of a database used to screen
volunteers found no record
of any allegation against
Ackerman.
“Had the national organi-
zation been made aware of
credible allegations against
Mr. Ackerman, we would
have acted to remove him
from scouting,” it said.
The suit is among hun-
dreds filed against a variety
of defendants, including the
Boy Scouts, since New
York’s recent enactment of
the Child Victims Act. The
law opened a one-year win-
dow for sex abuse suits pre-
viously barred by the state’s
statute of limitations.
Ackerman, a 15-term
congressman who repre-
sented parts of Queens and
Long Island, announced his
retirement in 2012.
Suit accuses former
N.Y. congressman of
sexual abuse in 1966
The 15-term Democrat
denies allegation that
he assaulted teenager
at a Boy Scout camp.
associated press
FORMER REP. Gary
Ackerman worked as a
camp director at age 23.
Bernat ArmangueAP