The Wall Street Journal - 23.08.2019

(Jeff_L) #1

THE WALL STREET JOURNAL. ** Friday, August 23, 2019 |A9B


When “Fiddler on the Roof”
opened on Broadway in 1964,
it became an instant hit, a
show that captured the Jewish
experience of the Old World
and made it relevant for a con-
temporary American audience.
Now, 55 years later, the mu-
sical, set in Russia and based
on the writings of the Yiddish
author Sholem Aleichem, is
going stronger than ever and
being discovered by new gen-
erations of theatergoers across
many cultures and countries.
The enduring fascination
with the show is the subject of
“Fiddler: A Miracle of Miracles,”
a documentary from New York
City filmmaker Max Lewkowicz
opening nationally this week.
The film traces the musical
from its origins, when com-
poser Jerry Bock, lyricist Shel-
don Harnick and book writer
Joseph Stein developed the
show about the milkman Te-
vye and his five daughters,
and worked with producer
Harold Prince and director-
choreographer Jerome Rob-
bins to bring it to Broadway.
The documentary also looks
at how “Fiddler” was embraced
by the Jewish-American com-
munity as a statement of faith,
family and values. The musical
resonated in productions out-
side that sphere as well,
whether at a New York City
public school in a predomi-
nantly black and Hispanic neigh-
borhood or in Japan, as the film

shows in clips and interviews.
“This is an incredible piece
that speaks in so many
places,” Mr. Lewkowicz said in
an interview.
And it continues to speak to
New York audiences. A Yiddish
version of the musical, which es-
sentially brings the story back to
its roots by using Aleichem’s

language, has become a recent
success off-Broadway.
Originally presented by the
National Yiddish Theatre Folks-
biene at the Museum of Jewish
Heritage in Manhattan last year,
the staging, which is offered
with English subtitles, regularly
drawscrowdsatitsnewhome
at Stage 42 in Midtown. The

production also attracts many a
boldface name, as evidenced
last week when Supreme Court
Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg
and her “Saturday Night Live”
impersonator Kate McKinnon
attended on the same night.
Joel Grey, the Oscar and
Tony Award-winning actor who
directs the Yiddish version of
“Fiddler,” says the musical re-
mains a theatrical force be-
cause the issues it tackles, from
anti-Semitism to the changing
family structure, are as relevant
today as they were in 1964.
“All the things that happen
in real life are happening in
this play,” said Mr. Grey.
Another factor behind the
continuing success of “Fid-
dler” is that it is very much a
musical for actors to make
their mark, particularly in the
lead role of Tevye. Steven Sky-
bell, who plays Tevye in the
current Yiddish production,
said he considers the part one
of the most significant in the
theatrical canon. “The role of
Tevye is equivalent to a great
Shakespearean role,” he said.
The success of “Fiddler”
was never a given, said Mr.
Harnick, the show’s lyricist. He
noted that it was difficult to
find investors for the original
Broadway production because
many felt the show’s darker el-
ements would turn theatergo-
ers away. But when “Fiddler”
opened in New York, he finally
saw its potential. “There was a
huge line at the box office. We
couldn’t believe it,” he said.

BYCHARLESPASSY

‘Fiddler’ Is an Enduring Tradition


Lyricist Sheldon Harnick seen in ‘Fiddler: A Miracle of Miracles.’

ROADSIDE ATTRACTIONS/SAMUEL GOLDWYN FILMS

GREATERNEWYORKWATCH


BROOKLYN


Pizzeria Reopens


After Tax Woe Settled


Di Fara, a popular pizzeria in
Brooklyn’s Midwood neighborhood,
reopened Thursday after being
shut down by New York state
earlier in the week for a tax debt.
“The state tax department
has worked with them and
come to terms,” Gov. Andrew
Cuomo said in an interview with
NY1. “People have to pay their
taxes, that’s clear, but we want


voice their support. Among them:
Mayor Bill de Blasio, who
tweeted Wednesday, “Di Fara is
THE best pizza place in New York
City. I’m ready to do anything I
can to get them reopened.”
That led to an outcry from
some restaurateurs, who said
they wished the mayor would
support a broad spectrum of
dining establishments in the city.
The mayor, Mr. Cuomo said,
has no control over state taxes,
unless “he wants to get
$200,000 worth of pizza.”
—Charles Passy

COURTS

University Faces
Sex-Abuse Lawsuit

Thirty-eight former students
of an Orthodox Jewish school in
New York City operated by Ye-
shiva University sued Thursday
over claims they were molested
by two prominent rabbis in the
1960s, ’70s and ’80s.
The suit alleged the univer-
sity failed to protect students at
Yeshiva University High School
for Boys and even promoted one

of the rabbis to principal after
receiving abuse reports.
A Yeshiva University spokes-
person declined to comment, cit-
ing a school policy against
speaking publicly about litigation.
The lawsuit is one of hun-
dreds that have been filed involv-
ing child-sexual abuse allegations
since last week, when New York
state opened a one-year window
for suits previously barred by the
state’s statute of limitations.
During a news conference
Thursday, three of the alleged
victims, flanked by their lawyers,

spoke about disturbing behavior
they say went on for decades.
“I didn’t even understand at
the time that this was sexual
abuse; I just knew that this guy
was putting his hands all over
me,” said Barry Singer, now 61
years old, speaking of one of the
rabbis he said kept reaching into
the boy’s pants, even in school
hallways.
One of the accused rabbis,
Macy Gordon, died recently in Is-
rael. The other, George Finkel-
stein, has denied the allegations.
—Associated Press

businesses open and flourishing.”
The pizzeria owed $167,506 in
unpaid taxes when the state
seized the establishment Tuesday.
Mr. Cuomo didn’t specify the
terms of the state’s agreement
with Di Fara, which has been open
for 54 years, that led to the quick
reopening. A spokesman for the
tax department said the details
are confidential under secrecy laws.
The closing of one of two Di
Fara stores prompted many fans
of the pizzeria, which is consid-
ered one of the bastions of the
classic New York City slice, to

New York City will no lon-
ger make burial records public
that include the names of
women who had stillbirths,
miscarriages and possibly
abortions, Mayor Bill de Blasio
said. The practice has raised
alarms among medical-privacy
experts.
The Wall Street Journal had
reported that women’s names
had been included in burial re-
cords for infants and fetal re-
mains on Hart Island, one of
the country’s largest public
cemeteries that serves as a
potter’s field for the city’s un-
claimed bodies and deceased
low-income residents.
For nearly a decade, the
city has been providing the re-
cordstoanadvocacygroup,
the Hart Island Project, which
has compiled the information
into a searchable online data-
base meant to allow relatives
to locate the remains of a
loved one buried on the island.
At an unrelated news con-
ference on Thursday, the
mayor said he first heard
about the issue from reading
the Journal’s article.
“It’s a horrible policy,” he
said. “We’ve immediately in-
structed that it end. It’s
wrong. We’re changing it. It’s
not acceptable.”
Medical experts expressed
concern about the publication
of the information, saying it


had the potential to lead to
harm and discrimination
against those whose names
had been publicized.
Melinda Hunt, president of
the Hart Island Project, said in
an email Thursday that the
group would agree to redact-
ing the first names of women
who are listed in the infant
burial records, adding she is
open to learning what the
city’s privacy concerns are.
She previously said many
mothers over the years have
expressed gratitude toward
her for helping them locate
their stillborn infants’ remains.
The city’s Department of
Correction, which oversees
Hart Island, also had been
publishing the information on
its website after the City
Council passed a law in 2013
mandating all burial records
for Hart Island be posted on-
line. Some 30,100 infant re-
cords ranging from 1981 to
2017 had appeared online.
The Department of Correc-
tion previously said it was fol-
lowing the city’s law when it
published the information on
its website, and that it was
acting pursuant to an earlier
settlement with the Hart Is-
land Project when it gave it
the records requested through
the state’s Freedom of Infor-
mation Law.
—Katie Honan
and Melanie Grayce West
contributed to this article.

Mayor Moves to End


‘Horrible’ Burial Policy


BYTESSRISKI


GREATER NEW YORK


NY
Free download pdf