THE WALL STREET JOURNAL. **** Friday, August 23, 2019 |B3
News Corpis developing a
news-aggregation service
meant to address concerns
thatAlphabetInc.’s Google
News and other digital plat-
forms don’t reward publish-
ers’ work adequately and play
down articles from certain
types of sites, according to
people familiar with the plans.
The service, currently called
Knewz.com, is expected to be a
website and a mobile app. An
early version is being shown to
a small group of News Corp
executives, and an official
launch could come later this
year, though no specific time-
line has been set, the people
said. The company could still
decide not to proceed with the
project, they said.
The service will draw from
hundreds of news sources, in-
cluding national outlets such
as The Wall Street Journal,
New York Times, Washington
Post and NBC News as well as
digital-native players, maga-
zine publishers and local
newspapers, the people said.
News Corp owns Dow Jones &
Co., which publishes The Wall
Street Journal.
The articles on Knewz.com
will link directly to publishers’
sites, and News Corp won’t
take a cut of the advertising
revenue the articles generate.
News Corp also expects to
share data with those publish-
ers. The service will aim to
promote original news reports
rather than those that are
quick rehashes of existing arti-
cles, and it will treat subscrip-
tion news sites the same as
nonsubscription sites in deter-
mining which articles to link
to, the people familiar with the
plans said.
News Corp isn’t striking li-
censing deals with media com-
panies for the service, since it
is simply linking out to their
sites without hosting their
content on its platform or
charging for it, one of the peo-
ple said.
The project aims to give ex-
posure to smaller outlets that
News Corp executives believe
are often demoted in Google’s
search results andFacebook
Inc.’s social feed, the people
said. That includes publishers
with conservative audiences
such as the Daily Wire, Daily
Caller, Washington Free Bea-
con and Washington Examiner,
according to some of the peo-
ple.
Representatives for Google
and Facebook had no com-
ment. The companies have
said their algorithms don’t
rank or prioritize content
based on the political leanings
of news organizations.
BYJEFFREYA.TRACHTENBERG
ANDLILLIANRIZZO
News Corp
Pursues
News-App
Project
developed a Monopoly edition
for the popular videogame
“Fortnite.” Mattel Inc. has
launched a studio to create
films based on Barbie and
other toys.
Shares of Hasbro fell 5% in
after-hours trading. The stock
is up nearly 41% so far this
year.
Entertainment One also
produces television program-
ming and develops film for
adults, and it operates a mu-
sic business.
Hasbro said the company
has proven experience in film
and television.
Hasbro said it expects to
achieve $130 million in annual
cost savings related to the
deal by 2022.
Those savings will be real-
ized by moving part of Enter-
tainment One’s toy business
in house and boosting the
profitability of its licensing
and merchandising activities.
The companies said the
deal must be approved by the
Ontario Superior Court of
Justice in Canada, as well as
Entertainment One sharehold-
ers.
Hasbro also said that key
Entertainment One executives
have agreed to stay on at the
company after the deal is
completed.
els built on the same technol-
ogy. Volkswagen expects to
build one million electric cars
with this technology by 2025
and a total of 15 million before
the next basic upgrade.
The new model is also
meant as Volkswagen’s exhibit
A in its argument that it has
left its dirty diesel past be-
hind. The diesel emissions-
cheating scandal of 2015 tar-
nished the auto maker’s image
while costing the company
about $30 billion in fines, pen-
alties and consumer compen-
sation.
Volkswagen has even
changed its iconic blue-and-
white badge. The 3-D logo has
been flattened out, making it
sharper and improving its dis-
play on digital devices.
Bumper to bumper, the ID.3
is about as big as the Golf. But
without an internal combus-
tion engine, its interior is spa-
cious, as roomy as the Passat,
the Golf’s upscale cousin.
The electric car, which is
packed with driver-assistance
technology and connected to
the internet, is already open
for preorders in Europe, start-
ing at around €30,000
($33,000).
The ID.3 won’t be sold in
the U.S. Instead, Volkswagen
plans to offer the ID “Crozz,”
an electric SUV using the
same technology and pro-
duced at its plant in Chatta-
nooga, Tenn.
The idea for the ID.3 was
born in October 2015 in the
weeks after U.S. authorities
disclosed that Volkswagen had
rigged millions of diesel cars
to cheat emissions testing and
hid the scam from environ-
mental regulators for years.
At Thursday’s event, com-
pany executives showed an ad-
vertising spot for the ID.3,
flashing a succession of im-
ages of the car and its follow-
on models, including the ID
Crozz SUV and a retro knock-
off of Volkswagen’s famous
hippy van. An image of Swed-
ish climate-change activist
Greta Thunberg was also in-
cluded.
“We are on the road to cre-
ating emissions-free mobility
for everyone,” said Jürgen
Stackmann, the company’s
sales chief.
WOLFSBURG, Germany—
VolkswagenAG unveiled the
first of a generation of vehi-
cles it is betting will take the
electric car out of its tiny mar-
ket niche and make it the new
car for the masses.
At the company’s design
center on Thursday, executives
presented the ID.3 hatchback,
the first model based on
Volkswagen’s new standard-
ized electric car technology.
The car is set to go into pro-
duction in Germany in the
coming weeks with its official
launch in Europe planned for
the Frankfurt Motor Show
next month.
The self-parking ID.3 is part
of a wave of technologically
advanced vehicles that big-
volume car makers hope will
enable them to regain the ini-
tiative from upstarts like Tesla
Inc.
The launch is a milestone
for Volkswagen, which has in-
vested heavily in the transi-
tion from combustion engines
to electric vehicles despite
the slowdown in global car
sales that is hurting manufac-
turers.
Electric cars remain a niche
product largely dominated by
expensive brands such as
Tesla, Jaguar and Audi. In or-
der for the industry’s huge bet
on electrification to pay off,
car makers win over mass-
market customers, not just af-
fluent environmentally con-
scious consumers.
Volkswagen envisions the
ID.3 becoming as ubiquitous
on the world’s highways as the
original Volkswagen, the Bee-
tle, was in the years after
World War II before the Golf
compact became the com-
pany’s best seller.
The ID.3 is the pace-setter
for a planned fleet of 20 mod-
BYWILLIAMBOSTON
Volkswagen Makes Electric Move
BUSINESS NEWS
The self-parking ID.3 is the first model based on the German auto maker’s new standardized electric-car technology.
ODD ANDERSEN/AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE/GETTY IMAGES
HasbroInc. said Thursday
it agreed to pay $4 billion in
cash to acquire Entertain-
ment OneLtd., a Toronto-
based company that produces
content for children and
adults.
Hasbro, which is based in
Pawtucket, R.I., said the Ca-
nadian company’s entertain-
ment properties appealing to
infants and preschoolers were
a major motivator of the deal.
Entertainment One’s lineup
includes “Peppa Pig,” which
follows a family of pigs; “PJ
Masks,” about a trio of he-
roes, and “Ricky Zoom,” a se-
ries whose main character is a
red rescue bike.
Hasbro executives cited
“Peppa Pig” and “PJ Masks”
as brands that generate
strong earnings in multiple
arenas including live shows,
theme parks, toys, and televi-
sion.
‘“Peppa Pig’, ‘PJ Masks’ and
other brands in development
are highly profitable and mer-
chandisable,” Hasbro Chief
Executive Brian Goldner told
analysts on a conference call
to discuss the deal. “These
brands have many of the char-
acteristics and profitability of
our franchise brands.”
As toy sales have weakened
in recent years, toy and enter-
tainment companies have
been looking to use their as-
sets in a variety of ways.
For example, Hasbro has
BYMICAHMAIDENBERG
Hasbro Nets ‘Peppa Pig’ in $4 Billion Deal
As sales have weakened in recent years, toy companies have been looking for new avenues.
MATTHEW KNIGHT/AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE/GETTY IMAGES
March 14, but didn’t open a
formal probe until two months
later, with no explanation for
the gap.
“There is no documenta-
tion,” FDA investigators Scott
T. Ballard and Mihaly S. Lig-
mond wrote in their Aug. 2 re-
port, as to why the probe “was
not opened until 15 May, 2019,
when the initial allegation is
documented as having been
reported on 14 March 2019.”
In a statement to The Wall
Street Journal, Novartis said
that during those two months,
it “conducted an independent
investigation with the support
of external counsel to deter-
mine the extent of data dis-
crepancies and whether they
could be explained.”
Novartis said the internal
probe had to be conducted in a
“very confidential manner” so
that senior executives at
AveXis—its Illinois-based unit
that produced the drug—
wouldn’t attempt to interfere.
The company also said it plans
to file a full written explana-
tion of the gap to the FDA as
early as this week.
In its statement, the com-
pany said that the investiga-
tion it formally launched in
May was a “full technical qual-
ity investigation by our quality
organization...requiring signif-
icant time and resources, and
the extensive review of physi-
cal and electronic documents,
test data and laboratory
notes.”
Novartis, in a report filed
with the FDA about the data
issue, said it began a formal
investigation May 8.
Novartis announced last
week that it had replaced two
research executives at AveXis
who led the research into the
medicine, chief scientific offi-
cer Brian Kaspar and research
chief Allan Kaspar. Allan Kas-
par couldn’t be reached. An at-
torney for his brother Brian
Kaspar said “he has cooper-
ated in the internal investiga-
tion and categorically denies
any wrongdoing.”
In interviews, FDA officials
said that two months to open
an investigation seems exces-
sive, especially when FDA ac-
tion on a major drug was
pending. They said the agency
should have been notified as
soon as the company sus-
pected data manipulation, and
that the data problems, had
they been known, could have
delayed approval.
In a Twitter message Aug.
6, FDA Commissioner Ned
Sharpless said agency officials
“take the issue of data integ-
rity very seriously.” The FDA,
he said, “will use its full au-
thorities to take action, if ap-
propriate, which may include
civil or criminal penalties.”
The data manipulation oc-
curred in animal tests accom-
panying human clinical testing
and involved giving various
strengths of Zolgensma to
mice to measure how long
they lived. This was a small
part of the overall testing.
Both the company and the
federal agency said that the
data manipulation, if known,
wouldn’t have affected the fi-
nal decision on Zolgensma,
which is considered the
world’s most expensive drug.
WASHINGTON—Federal
regulators examining test data
manipulation for a gene-ther-
apy drug made byNovartis
AG are zeroing in on the com-
pany’s two-month delay in
launching a formal inquiry, ac-
cording to documents and in-
terviews.
The drug, Zolgensma, is
used to treat a sometimes fa-
tal form of spinal muscular at-
rophy in children and costs
about $2.1 million for a one-
time infusion. The Food and
Drug Administration said this
month that it wasn’t informed
about the data manipulation
until after it approved use of
the drug May 24.
FDA officials, who subse-
quently inspected the com-
pany’s control testing lab in
San Diego, noted that Novartis
became aware of the problem
BYTHOMASM.BURTON
Novartis Delay on Data Manipulation Probed
The FDA is looking
at a two-month
delay in opening a
formal inquiry.
BumpStep®XL
©2018 by MacNeil IP LLC
FloorLiner™
New!
Non-Toxic
Feeding
System
PetComfort.com
24" Hitch Mounted
Bumper Protection
800.441.6287
International #001.630.769.1500