A4| Friday, August 23, 2019 PWLC101112HTGKBFAM123456789OIXX THE WALL STREET JOURNAL.
The award will have a 15-
member selection committee
made up of former players,
current coaches and others,
Mr. Rubio said. Organizers are
commissioning a bronze trophy
and working with presenting
partner Bernie’s Book Bank, a
nonprofit, to plan a 350-person
end-of-season banquet in the
Chicago area.
The David Binn Award,
named for former San Diego
Chargers long snapper David
Binn, quietly launched last year
with no website, no banquet and
little involvement from Mr. Binn
himself. The award was born on
a Twitter account that issued a
preseason watch list then whit-
tled down the number of candi-
dates as the season wore on.
Newspapers including the
Times-Picayune in New Orleans
and the Los Angeles Times re-
ported on the award, as did
college football blogs and uni-
versities’ athletic websites.
But the David Binn Award
remained shrouded in mystery.
Some speculated it was a hoax.
Mike Hlas of the Gazette in Ce-
dar Rapids, Iowa, declared it
“either a spoof or the work of
one person with a deep love of
snapping.”
Even the first Binn Award
winner, Louisiana State long
snapper Blake Ferguson, didn’t
know where it came from. He
learned he had won the award
in December through social
media.
“They had tagged me in
their tweet,” he said. “And then
they reached out via direct
message to kind of congratu-
late me and all that.”
In fact, the Binn Award’s
founder is Matt Wigley, a for-
mer San Jose State long snap-
per who trains long snappers
in Southern California. He said
he was more interested in hon-
oring active long snappers and
Mr. Binn, whom he had long
admired, than in generating
publicity for himself or his
business.
“People were trying really,
really hard, trying to figure out
who ran it,” said Mr. Wigley,
who was surprised by how
much attention the award re-
ceived. He said he had a four-
person award selection com-
mittee but declined to name its
members.
Mr. Binn, in an interview,
said Mr. Wigley told him the
idea for the award and kept
him posted about the candi-
dates.
The two long snapper
awards have surfaced even as
the organization that sanctions
the top college football awards
recently placed a two-year
moratorium on adding new
ones.
“Frankly, there’s a prolifera-
tion of awards,” said Mark
Wolpert, president of the Na-
tional College Football Awards
Association.
To consider adding an
award to its list of 25 sanc-
tioned honors, the NCFAA re-
quires, among other things,
that it be presented for five
consecutive years, hold a pre-
sentation event such as a lun-
cheon and not be a duplicate of
an existing NCFAA award. Nei-
ther long snapping award yet
makes the cut.
Mr. Wigley said this season
he planned to expand the scope
of the Binn Award to include
long snappers in the sport’s
lower levels such as Division
III—a reaction, he said, to the
Mannelly Award, which will go
to the best long snapper in the
top-level Football Bowl Subdi-
vision.
Organizers of the Mannelly
and Binn awards agree on one
thing: They were both inspired
by yet another award, Holder
of the Year, which started as a
joke. The holder catches long
snaps, then places and holds
the ball upright—like Lucy in
“Peanuts” comics—so kickers
can attempt field goals and ex-
tra points after touchdowns.
In 2015, University of Min-
nesota punter and holder Peter
Mortell created the award for
the best holder, named it the
Mortell Award—the HOTY for
short—and bestowed it on
himself in a tweet that went vi-
ral. He filmed a tongue-in-
cheek speech that ESPN aired
on its annual college football
awards show, and soon after
that the HOTY became a real
thing.
Mr. Mortell has given out
the award three more times
and plans to do it again this
season. On the long snapper
awards, he said he’s not sure
two awards for one position
can survive but wishes them
well.
“Some of my best friends
are long snappers,” he said.
Retired long snapper Patrick Mannelly hiked the ball during NFL
training camp when he played for the Chicago Bears in 2013.
NAM Y. HUH/ASSOCIATED PRESS
achievement in long snapping.
The weird thing is, someone
beat them to it. The David Binn
Award was launched last sea-
son under very different cir-
cumstances.
Mr. Rubio’s award, the Man-
nelly Award, is named for Pat-
rick Mannelly, a former long
snapper for the Chicago Bears.
He helped create the award,
along with Mr. Rubio and
sports agent Kevin Gold.
The Mannelly Award already
has a slick website that lauds
long snappers as selfless and
courageous. “The nurse who
hands the right instrument to
the surgeon is a Long Snap-
per,” the site reads. “The legal
professional who works late
into the night doing the re-
search that uncovers the prece-
dent that wins the case is a
Long Snapper.”
ContinuedfromPageOne
New Honors
For Long
Snappers
WASHINGTON—President
Trump has decided not to
move ahead with a plan to cut
about $4 billion in foreign-aid
funding after coming under
criticism from lawmakers in
both parties, according to ad-
ministration officials.
White House officials had
previously said they expected
to release the proposal this
week, but Mr. Trump backed
away from the effort after
hearing from lawmakers and
opponents within his adminis-
tration, the officials said.
Instead, the administration
plans to attempt to redirect
some of the funds to other pri-
orities, including projects fa-
vored by Ivanka Trump, the
president’s daughter and senior
adviser, and Vice President
Mike Pence.
The White House’s Office of
Management and Budget had
initially proposed to cut a total
of $4.3 billion in funding for
State Department and the U.S.
Agency for International Devel-
opment programs, including
humanitarian, human-rights
and United Nations initiatives.
But Secretary of State Mike
Pompeo and Treasury Secre-
tary Steven Mnuchin, along
with influential Republican
lawmakers, argued against the
cuts, officials said. In a series
of private discussions in recent
days, Mr. Pompeo countered
that the money could be redi-
rected to programs that better
align with the administration’s
priorities, a senior administra-
tion official said.
Mr. Trump ultimately de-
cided in favor of that option, as
it avoided an unnecessary con-
frontation with Congress, the
official said. Instead of cutting
the funding altogether, the ad-
ministration intends to try to
reprogram the funds. Two ad-
ministration officials said Mr.
Trump endorsed a proposal to
shift funding away from pro-
grams in Guatemala, Honduras,
Pakistan and the West Bank.
The administration will at-
tempt to move the money to
priority programs such as a
women’s global development
initiative backed by Ms. Trump
and an effort backed by Mr.
Pence to protect Christians and
religious minorities in the Mid-
dle East, the other official said.
The Trump administration’s
effort to freeze the funds had
threatened to confound the al-
ready delicate process to avoid
a government shutdown this
fall. Although Congress and the
administration have already
agreed to new spending levels,
they must still reach a series of
deals on funding levels for indi-
vidual agencies and programs
before Oct. 1.
A clash between the legisla-
tive and executive branches on
a comparatively small amount
of foreign-aid funding could
have distracted from that task,
increasing the possibility of a
government shutdown.
—Andrew Duehren
contributed to this article.
BYANDREWRESTUCCIA
ANDJESSICADONATI
Trump
Backs Off
Cuts in
Foreign Aid
In addition, domestic ter-
rorism isn’t a federal crime in
itself, though there are pro-
posals in Congress to change
that.
After the Sept. 11, 2001, ter-
rorist attacks, much of the
FBI’s focus shifted to threats
from the Middle East. Thou-
sands of special agents were
reassigned. The bureau essen-
tially remains on that footing,
identifying global terrorism as
its priority.
FBI officials now say that
right-wing domestic terrorism
poses just as serious a threat.
In the fiscal year that ended in
September, the bureau made
about 100 international-terror-
ism arrests and 115 arrests re-
lated to domestic terror.
Far-right ideologies encom-
pass a range of views, includ-
ing white nationalism, white
supremacy, neo-Nazism, as
well as other antigovernment
or anti-immigrant views. Not
all groups or individuals affili-
ated with those ideologies es-
pouse violence. There are also
concerns, including from Pres-
ident Trump, about left-wing
self-described antifascist
groups.
The nonpartisan centrist
think tank New America esti-
mates Islamic extremists have
killed 104 people in the U.S.
since the Sept. 11 attacks,
while people inspired by far-
right ideologies have killed
109.
Data from New Jersey au-
thorities found that 25 out of
the 46 domestic-terrorism
suspects nationwide in 2018
appeared motivated by white
supremacy, eclipsing other
motivations and ideologies.
The FBI started developing
strategies for addressing the
domestic threat by analyzing
how they successfully targeted
international terrorists
through undercover work and
sting operations, a senior
counterterrorism official re-
cently said. It directed more
manpower and support toward
domestic threats.
The FBI also this year
formed what it calls a domes-
tic terrorism-hate crimes “fu-
sion cell” designed to bring to-
gether agents assigned to
civil-rights cases and counter-
terrorism.
Americans’ rights to speak,
organize in groups and even
stockpile firearms are largely
protected by the Constitution.
As a result, the law-enforce-
ment response to domestic
terrorism has been largely re-
million to federal candidates
and political committees, the
fastest its donations have
topped $1 million since at least
the 2010 cycle, according to
FEC data.
The group also contributed
$10,000 each to the Demo-
cratic Congressional Campaign
Committee and the Democratic
U.S. NEWS
gram, including donations and
advertisements to back Repub-
licans and Democrats in con-
gressional races. The amount
also includes operational costs
that aren’t subject to federal
filing requirements; the group
declined to say how that total
compares with its spending in
previous election cycles.
“Our goal is to support can-
didates who understand and
appreciate the critical role
banks of all sizes play in the
economy,” said Rob Nichols,
the ABA’s chief executive. “We
plan to expand our efforts in
2020 on a rigorously biparti-
san basis.”
In the 2018 midterm cy-
cle, the ABA spent more than
$1.5 million on political ads,
polling and other research, the
group said. In addition, it con-
tributed $3.5 million to candi-
dates and other political com-
mittees, according to Federal
Election Commission filings.
The group backed four
Democratic and eight Republi-
can candidates, including Dean
Heller, a former Republican
senator from Nevada, and Sen.
Jon Tester, a Montana Demo-
crat.
So far this year through the
end of July, it contributed $1.
Senatorial Campaign Commit-
tee, and $15,000 apiece to the
National Republican Congres-
sional Committee and the Na-
tional Republican Senatorial
Committee. The group de-
clined to comment on the dif-
ference in the amounts.
The Consumer Bankers Asso-
ciation, which represents big
and regional banks, expects to
raise upwards of $200,000, on
par with previous years, and the
Independent Community Bank-
ers of America, representing
smaller banks, said it plans to
focus more on social-media ads
in 2020.
The ABA’s advertisements
in the 2018 cycle included one
supporting Rep. Ted Budd (R.,
N.C.) that featured Kelly Earn-
hardt Miller—a North Carolina
banker and the daughter of
race-car legend Dale Earn-
hardt. The group also ran
Spanish-language video ads
and a print ad in Vietnamese
in support of Rep. Lou Correa
(D., Calif.).
So far this election cycle,
the ABA is the biggest political
action committee in terms of
donations to federal candi-
dates, according to the Center
for Responsive Politics.
In an era where politics
play out on social media,
banks are working to sell their
message to a broader public,
shifting the focus to their role
in the U.S. economy away from
business practices such as
risky mortgages that fed the
financial crisis. They also are
attaching their names to
newsletters, glossy magazine
ads and public-policy events.
The industry’s efforts ha-
ven’t always hit their marks.
“Is Bank of America really
sponsoring this?” Sen. Bernie
Sanders (I., Vt.), a 2020 presi-
dential candidate who has ad-
vocated for breaking up big
banks, said at a July Washing-
ton Post event on the presi-
dential election, with the
bank’s logo overhead.
The industry has pressed for
regulatory victories by focus-
ing on what it says are burdens
faced by small and midsize
banks, arguing that lower costs
to comply with rules and regu-
lations could mean more loans
are made to small businesses
and consumers. In May 2018,
this approach led to bipartisan
support for the most compre-
hensive rollback of the finan-
cial rulebook since the crisis.
—Chad Day
contributed to this article.
WASHINGTON—Banks plan
to be more active in the 2020
elections, with a large industry
group promising to boost cam-
paign spending and political
advertising after keeping a rel-
atively low profile in the de-
cade after the financial crisis.
The industry’s re-emer-
gence in the political arena
comes amid a friendlier tone
in Washington during the
Trump administration. Con-
gress and financial regulators
have sought to ease capital
rules, limits on trading and
other restrictions placed on
banks by the Obama adminis-
tration after the 2008 crisis,
arguing the financial system is
more resilient now.
“They’re using the current
thaw in what had been a
pretty contentious relation-
ship between Wall Street and
D.C. to tell their story a little
better,” said Ed Mills, manag-
ing director at Raymond
James Financial.
The American Bankers Asso-
ciation, a trade group that rep-
resents banks of all sizes, said
it plans to spend more than
$10 million in the 2020 elec-
tion cycle on its political pro-
BYLALITACLOZEL
Banks to Boost Campaign Spending
The American Bankers
Association’s contributions
to federal candidates and
other political committees
Note: Donations January through July in the
first year of each two-year election cycle.
Source: Federal Election Commission
2006
2008
2010
2012
2014
2016
2018
2020
$809,
1,043,
1,203,
941,
953,
913,
715,
1,311,
active—investigating and help-
ing prosecute attacks after
they occur.
Lawmakers from both par-
ties have made the case in re-
cent years to make domestic
terrorism a crime. Sen. Martha
McSally (R., Ariz.) and Rep.
Adam Schiff (D., Calif.) intro-
duced separate proposals last
week for a new domestic-ter-
rorism crime.
Other officials say other ap-
proaches could be used with-
out passing new laws that
many critics say could
threaten free-speech rights.
By treating domestic hate
groups as “criminal enter-
prises,” the FBI can pursue
federal racketeering, conspir-
acy or hate-crimes charges
that carry steep penalties, said
Adam Lee, a former high-rank-
ing FBI official who oversaw
hate-crimes cases and led the
Richmond field office during
the 2017 Charlottesville rally.
The Charlottesville attacker
was sentenced to life in prison
on hate-crimes charges.
But Barbara McQuade, a
former federal prosecutor who
now teaches law at the Univer-
sity of Michigan, says a do-
mestic-terrorism law could
help. She recalled working on
a 2010 case against Michigan
militia members who allegedly
threatened to kill police offi-
cers. The government charged
them with “seditious conspir-
acy,” via a little-used post-
Civil War law.
The judge, in dismissing the
conspiracy-related charges,
wrote that “offensive speech
and a conspiracy to do some-
thing other than forcibly resist
a positive show of authority
by the federal government is
not enough to sustain a charge
of seditious conspiracy.”
“Without a domestic terror-
ism statute,” Ms. McQuade
said, “it’s difficult.”
WASHINGTON—In the
weeks leading up to a 2017
white-nationalist rally in Char-
lottesville, Va., Federal Bureau
of Investigation analysts pored
over online forums frequented
by white supremacists and
other far-right extremists,
concerned a planned “Unite
the Right” rally had a poten-
tial for violence.
Investigators shared what
intelligence they could with
state and local authorities, a
person familiar with the inves-
tigation said.
But that didn’t stop vio-
lence at the rally. An avowed
white supremacist drove into a
crowd of counterprotesters,
killing a woman and injuring
many others, and more people
were hurt in other clashes.
Demands for federal law en-
forcement to do more to guard
against domestic terrorism—
particularly mass-casualty at-
tacks inspired by white su-
premacy or white-nationalist
ideologies—have grown since
the recent shootings in Texas,
Ohio and California. But the
Charlottesville case highlights
the limits of the FBI’s ability
to be proactive. Without evi-
dence of a planned violent act
or other crime, it can do little
to intervene.
U.S. authorities can ro-
bustly monitor international
terrorists with the goal of dis-
rupting plots before they oc-
cur. But severe legal con-
straints limit what the FBI can
do at home. And anything that
would allow more rigorous in-
telligence-gathering on purely
domestic threats could run
aground in the courts and
prompt criticism in Congress
from those who have opposed
expansion of surveillance au-
thority.
BYBYRONTAU
ANDSADIEGURMAN
Legal Curbs Hobble FBI on Domestic Terror
The man who drove into protesters in Charlottesville, Va., was prosecuted on hate-crime charges.
RYAN M. KELLY/THE DAILY PROGRESS/ASSOCIATED PRESS
FROM PAGE ONE