WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 28 , 2019. THE WASHINGTON POST EZ RE A
WEDNESDAY Opinion
T
here is no surer way to convince
people you are going nuts than
to stand in front of a crowd and
announce that you are not going
nuts.
“I want to be clear: I’m not going
nuts,” Joe Biden declared at a campaign
stop Friday as he struggled to identify
the location of a speech he had just
given.
Nothing is more likely to raise doubts
about your mental acuity than to mis-
identify the state you are in. “What’s not
to like about Vermont?” Biden asked on
Saturday — in New Hampshire. He pre-
viously confused Burlington, Iowa, with
Burlington, Vt.
And nothing will get your relatives to
demand power of attorney more rapidly
than misplacing a decade. “Bobby Ken-
nedy and Dr. King had been assassinat-
ed in the ’70s, the late ’70s, when I got
engaged,” Biden said last week.
Oh, God love me! What is this
malarkey?
The former vice president has admit-
ted to being a “gaffe machine.” That’s
false modesty. He is the Lamborghini of
gaffes.
He announced that “poor kids are
just as bright and just as talented as
white kids.” He located the El Paso and
Dayton mass-shootings in “Houston”
and “Michigan.” He recalled a visit with
survivors of the 2018 Parkland shooting
— before the shooting happened.
He confused “Margaret Thatcher”
with Theresa May and Angela Merkel,
referred to the Second Amendment as
the First, tripled the number of casual-
ties of the 1970 Kent State shooting and
mixed up his campaign website with a
text-message code. At the Iowa State
Fair, he thundered: “We choose truth
over facts!”
Less felicitously, he also joked about
gay waiters, entitled millennials and his
too-tactile ways — and praised a segre-
gationist’s “civility.” Things got so bad
that Biden’s neurologist offered a virtual
doctor’s note, telling Politico that he’s
“as sharp as he was 31 years ago.”
True. Biden has been churning out
malapropisms since 1987, when he was
still delivering Neil Kinnock’s speeches.
This is the man who claimed “I’ve
known eight presidents, three of them
intimately.” Even with such intimate
knowledge, he later confided: “I’d rather
be at home making love to my wife
while my children are asleep.”
He proclaimed Barack Obama “the
first African American in the history of
the United States.” During a rally, he
called attention to “a three-letter word:
jobs.” He once introduced his running
mate as “Barack America.”
Some say it’s unfair to draw attention
to Biden when President Trump is the
most mendacious politician ever. I dis-
agree: Biden’s gaffes are to be celebrat-
ed, for they make him exciting. When he
opens his mouth, nobody knows what is
going to come out — least of all Biden.
Biden once said to a paralyzed man in
a wheelchair: “Stand up, Chuck.” He
mourned one woman (“God rest her
soul”) who hadn’t died. He described
Obama as “the first mainstream African
American who is articulate and bright
and clean.”
He disclosed that Franklin
D. Roosevelt went on television in 1929,
before TV existed. He predicted that if
Obama were elected, “we’re going to
have an international crisis.” He de-
clared that Hillary Clinton “might have
been a better pick than me” for vice
president. He reported that “you cannot
go to a 7-Eleven... unless you have a
slight Indian accent.” He frankly told
one audience: “You all look dull as hell.”
Who can forget him saying “this is a
big f---ing deal” after Obamacare’s pas-
sage? Or admitting, as he tried to sell
the stimulus, “There’s still a 30 percent
chance we’re going to get it wrong”?
I am so certain that Biden’s gaffes will
propel him to victory that I have written
him a draft acceptance speech, based on
actual Bidenisms, for the Democratic
convention in Milwaukee:
Hello, Memphis! Ladies, gentlemen
and other genders — there are at least
three! — I say: This is a big f---ing deal! I
see poor kids in the arena and I see
white kids. I see Grandpa Finnegan,
God rest his soul!
I would not be here in Manchester ac-
cepting your nomination without the
support of articulate, clean black peo-
ple. And you disabled veterans — stand
up! I have known you intimately. And so
I say: I would rather be making love to
my wife! You are a dull audience.
Fellow Democrats, there is a 30 per-
cent chance everything I do will be
wrong. Bernie, Elizabeth, Kamala and
the others would have been better picks
than me. But I am here because of a
three-letter word: TRUTH. We choose
truth over facts! If elected, I promise:
We will have an international crisis. Let
me be clear: I am not going nuts! So go
to my website number and help me.
Vote for Joe America! Good night, Mont-
gomery!
Twitter: @Milbank
DANA MILBANK
WASHINGTON SKETCH
The beauty
of Biden:
He could say
anything
BY ELIZABETH WARREN
T
he Federal Communications Com-
mission reports that a staggering
21.3 million Americans don’t have
access to high-speed broadband —
no doubt an underestimate given the notori-
ous loopholes in FCC reporting require-
ments. This is despite more than a decade of
efforts by policymakers at the state and
federal level to end the “digital divide” and
deliver universal access to high-speed
Internet.
This isn’t an accident. Blame Internet
service providers (ISPs), such as Verizon,
Comcast, AT&T and Charter, which have
maximized their profits at the expense of
rural towns, cities, low-income communities
and communities of color across the country.
These companies have deliberately
restricted competition, kept prices high and
used their armies of lobbyists to persuade
state legislatures to ban towns and cities
from building their own public networks.
Meanwhile, the federal government has
shoveled more than a billion in taxpayer
dollars per year to private ISPs to expand
broadband to remote areas, but these pro-
viders have done the bare minimum with
these resources.
ISPs have been able to get away with
fostering pseudo-monopolies because they
spend a lot of money to keep the regulatory
environment and the conversation sur-
rounding it murky. FCC Chairman Ajit Pai, a
former Verizon lawyer, has been an effective
agent for ISPs. He led the charge to disman-
tle net neutrality last year, and he has done
everything in his power to stop municipali-
ties from building their own broadband
infrastructure. He also attempted to gut the
FCC’s Lifeline program, one of the few tools
the federal government has to provide Inter-
net to low-income consumers.
While the profit motives of ISPs have
disproportionately harmed rural and low-
income communities, urban and higher-
income consumers have been adversely
impacted, too.
Horror stories starring giant Internet
companies are practically universal. In the
wealthiest country on the planet, we lag
behind many other developed nations in
connectivity and speed, while also paying
more for that service. That’s why companies
such as Comcast consistently rank as the
United States’ most hated companies by
consumers. When you eliminate a competi-
tive market and replace it with regional
monopolies or duopolies, providers have no
incentive to improve their service.
In those rural communities where ISPs
have delivered Internet access, consumers
pay egregiously high rates for services that
are far below the FCC’s own definition of
high-speed Internet. And if they go over
their allotted data, they get hit with addi-
tional charges.
Without a stable, high-speed Internet
connection, it’s virtually impossible for a
town to keep or recruit new businesses. Not
having broadband at home creates a “home-
work gap” that makes it much harder for
students to compete. For rural and low-in-
come communities, lawmakers have priori-
tized increased funding for telemedicine as a
way to lower health-care costs and reach
isolated communities. But again, that isn’t
an option without good Internet.
Enough is enough. As president, I would
work to ensure every home in the United
States has an affordable, broadband connec-
tion. I have a plan for a new public option for
broadband Internet, carried out by a new
Office of Broadband Access that would man-
age an $85 billion federal grant program.
Only electricity and telephone cooperatives,
nonprofit organizations, tribes, cities, coun-
ties and other state subdivisions would be
eligible for grants.
The federal government would pay
90 cents on the dollar for construction under
these grants. In exchange, applicants must
offer high-speed public broadband directly
to every home in their application area.
Applicants would have to offer at least one
plan with 100-megabits per second speeds
and one discount Internet plan for low-
income customers with a prepaid feature or
a low monthly rate. The plan would also set
aside $5 billion specifically for 100 percent
federal grants to tribal nations to expand
broadband access on Native American land.
Additionally, we would make it clear in
federal statute that municipalities have the
right to build their own networks, and I
would appoint FCC commissioners who
would restore net neutrality and make sure
our government programs live up to the
promise of universal service. We would also
prohibit the range of sneaky maneuvers that
giant private providers use to unfairly
squeeze out competition, hold governments
hostage and drive up prices.
There is both a moral and an economic
imperative to enact a public option for
broadband. If we stay on our current trajec-
tory, ISPs will continue to decide which
communities succeed and which ones fail.
We imperil the success of future generations,
threaten our competitiveness on the global
stage and risk further diaspora from towns
and cities that are in dire need of economic
turnaround.
Providing universal, public access to
broadband won’t be easy. The ISPs aren’t
interested in competition and will fight to
keep the status quo. But this is a worthy
cause. Together we can change outcomes for
forgotten towns and cities across our country.
The writer, a Democrat, represents
Massachusetts in the Senate and is a candidate
for the Democratic presidential nomination.
My plan
for universal
broadband
BY JOHN FEINSTEIN
L
ike most people, I was sur-
prised when I heard the news
Saturday that Andrew Luck
had decided to retire from the
NFL a few weeks shy of turning 30 —
walking away from almost $60 mil-
lion he was due to be paid by the
Indianapolis Colts over the next
three seasons.
Surprised — yes, but shocked? No.
Having spent a good deal of time
with Luck two seasons ago while
researching a book on playing quar-
terback in the NFL, I knew that Luck
isn’t like most athletes. He loved
playing the game and played it
extremely well. But he doesn’t need
to play the game.
In 40 years as a reporter, I can’t
begin to count the number of athletes
I’ve asked what they plan on doing
when their playing days are over.
Most of the time the answers are
remarkably similar: coach, get a job
in TV or radio, or become a scout
leading to a job as a general manager.
When I asked Luck the routine
question in March 2018, he smiled
almost sheepishly. “Honestly,” he
said, “I think I could be very happy
teaching high school history.”
That is an answer I’d never gotten
before — or since.
When I first sat down with Luck
before the start of the 2017 season, he
was recovering from shoulder sur-
gery. He had spent the entire
2016 season in considerable pain but
played well. When he got to the point
where he couldn’t pull open a door
without feeling pain, he knew he had
to have surgery. He expected to be
ready for training camp because
that’s what the doctors had told him
in January.
He ended up missing the entire
season. And it was a terrible
experience.
He talked about how guilty he felt
standing on the sideline, helpless to
keep his team from losing; about
how depressed he became when ev-
ery time he thought he was making
progress, the pain would return;
about how he had to flee to Europe
for two months to rehab there be-
cause being under the media micro-
scope in Indianapolis was impossible
as weeks passed with no sign of
improvement.
“I love being a football player,” he
said to me after he’d finally started to
feel better. “But it isn’t my identity,
never has been. I love being around
my teammates, being part of a team
and competing. But I had to make
peace with the idea that I might NOT
come back before I could make prog-
ress toward coming back. That was
the hardest part.”
Luck returned last season to lead a
team that had won four games with-
out him in 2017 to 11 wins and a spot
in the second round of the playoffs.
He was voted the league’s comeback
player of the year. No one can say he
didn’t give the team everything he
had. And it’s worth remembering
that he could have spent the season
on injured reserve and been paid the
$9.1 million he was due this fall.
It’s no mere coincidence that no
active NFL player has criticized or
questioned his decision. Those who
do don’t understand how painful it is
to play football at the highest level.
I’m not talking about injuries, I’m
talking about just playing. If you
have ever stood on an NFL sideline
and watched the way huge men hit
one another, it is amazing that any-
one ever gets up, even after a routine
play.
Those who booed Luck on Satur-
day or have criticized him can’t un-
derstand this. It doesn’t look that
painful from a distance. There is
something of a Roman Colosseum
feel to football: If one gladiator falls,
cart him off and bring on the next one.
Because NFL players are paid so well,
many fans feel they are owed a will-
ingness to sacrifice body and soul.
To call Luck’s decision a trend is
going too far. Many — if not most —
players will be dragged (or carted) off
the field still wanting to play the
game. But since the discovery of what
football can do to the brain; since
more and more former players have
come forward to describe the painful
lives they now lead, there has been a
noticeable and steady drop in high
school participation, and more play-
ers are retiring young. They have
made a lot of money, and they want to
walk away with their minds and
bodies intact.
Luck said Saturday that all the
injuries he’s had the past four years —
the latest being a lingering ankle and
calf problem — took the joy out of
football for him. If there’s no joy in
doing something that hurts all the
time, there’s no reason to go on.
And, I suspect, if he decides to
teach high school history, he’ll be
great at it.
John Feinstein is a Post contributor and
the author of “Quarterback: Inside the
Most Important Position in Professional
Sports.”
Luck’s call: A surprise
but not a shock
MICHAEL CONROY/ASSOCIATED PRESS
Andrew Luck during a news conference on Saturday in which he announced his retirement from the NFL.
BY SAM LICCARDO
T
he July mass shooting in Gilroy,
Calif., left two San Jose families
mourning the loss of their chil-
dren, 6-year-old Stephen Rome-
ro and 13-year-old Keyla Salazar. As San
Jose’s mayor, I hugged grieving family
members, visited injured residents in
the hospital and attended vigils. My
mind reeled for words that might ease
their suffering and the community’s
pain, but shallow platitudes couldn’t
offer much solace.
Mayors who experience such suffer-
ing in their communities after sense-
less gun violence do not have the luxury
of waiting for Congress to act, as
lawmakers offer their “thoughts and
prayers.” Cities demand problem-
solving over posturing. So this month, I
proposed an oft-considered but as-
yet-never-implemented idea: require
every gun owner in the 10th-largest city
in the United States to buy liability
insurance.
Every U.S. state mandates that auto-
mobile drivers buy liability insurance;
we should require no less of gun
owners. Cars and guns have exacted a
similarly grim human toll, each causing
about 40,000 deaths in 2017. If San
Jose’s gun owners can’t get liability
insurance, they can comply with the
mandate by paying a fee to compensate
taxpayers for the “gun violence subsi-
dy” borne by the public.
That is, for decades, taxpayers have
subsidized gun ownership and the
harms that accompany it. Direct costs
of gun violence to California taxpayers
— for ambulances, cops and emergency
rooms — exceeded $1.4 billion last year,
according to one study. While the
Second Amendment protects a right to
bear arms, it does not require taxpayers
to subsidize the exercise of that right.
Courts routinely uphold the imposition
of reasonable, nonobstructive fees or
taxes on constitutionally protected ac-
tivities, such as forming a tax-exempt
nonprofit, selling a newspaper and
purchasing a gun.
Insurance can provide a useful
mechanism for harm reduction. Risk-
adjusted premiums provide financial
incentives that reward good driving
and installing air bags, and discourage
parents from handing the keys to their
risk-taking teenagers. Similarly, insur-
ers could use premium discounts to
prod law-abiding gun owners to take
gun-safety courses, purchase gun safes
and install child-safety locks — a wel-
come improvement for a nation in
which more than 4.6 million children
live in a household where a gun is kept
loaded and unlocked. Insurers would
also hike the premium on a 19-year-old
looking to buy his first semiautomatic
weapon, someone such as the Gilroy
shooter.
Of course, “the crooks” won’t pay a
fee or buy insurance; only law-abiding
gun owners would. An insurance re-
quirement at the point of sale, if
purchased locally, would make it hard-
er for some guns to get into the wrong
hands. Regardless of where the gun is
purchased, all San Jose residents would
face an insurance requirement for
merely possessing a gun — just as they
would a car. The insurance thereby
provides an additional tool for law
enforcement against crooks. A prospec-
tive burglar casing a home or a criminal
standing watch on a street corner may
avoid arrest due to lack of demonstra-
ble criminality. Yet, if a constitutionally
compliant pat-down search revealed
possession of an uninsured gun, the
suspect would face the consequences of
an uninsured motorist, including a
fine, misdemeanor conviction and sei-
zure of the gun.
What would the insurance cover? At
the very least, we’d want to insure
against the harm that results from
accidental shootings, which claim the
lives of about 500 people per year and
cause more than 17,000 injuries, many
of them to children. Some homeowners’
and renters’ policies already contain
coverage for such liabilities. We might
also consider requiring insurance —
and thereby incentivizing insurers to
offer coverage — for harms caused by
those who acquire any of the 200,000 to
300,000 guns stolen every year from
owners who inadequately secure them.
If some gun owners can’t get insur-
ance, then our proposal simply requires
them to pay an annual fee to compen-
sate taxpayers who have grudgingly
borne the financial costs of gun vio-
lence. Over time, with a sufficiently
robust fee, more insurers will enter the
market.
After two decades of congressional
inaction and more than 600,000 fire-
arm deaths, our sclerotic federal gun
policy needs disruptive thinking. Local
and state leaders increasingly will step
into this void. Others may offer better
ideas, and we should explore all of
them; no one measure will end the
scourge of firearm deaths in our nation.
In the meantime, I’ll push to imple-
ment a gun insurance requirement for
San Jose residents. If we can’t decisively
end gun violence, then at the very least,
we’re going to stop paying for it.
The writer, a Democrat, is mayor of San
Jose.
Why I’m asking San Jose residents
to insure their guns