The Washington Post - 28.08.2019

(Jeff_L) #1

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 28 , 2019. THE WASHINGTON POST EZ RE K A


NEW YORK


Prison guards prevail


in dispute over beards


Two Muslim correctional
officers in New York were
reinstated Tuesday after being
suspended for refusing to shave
their beards because of religious
reasons, the state prisons agency
said.
Brian Sughrim and David
Feliciano, correctional officers at
Fishkill prison in Dutchess
County, had filed a federal
lawsuit against the Department
of Corrections and Community
Supervision.
The lawsuit, which argued the
agency discriminated against the
two men, is the “sole reason that
they’re getting their jobs back,”
said their attorney, Joshua
Moskovitz.
The employees will receive full
back pay, prisons agency
spokesman Thomas Mailey said
in an emailed statement. The
agency, he wrote, will be
“reviewing its rules regarding
facial hair immediately in light of
the new law.”
Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo (D)
signed legislation this month
banning employment
discrimination because of
religious attire or facial hair.
The two men are longtime
department employees, and the
agency years ago gave them
“medical accommodations” to
wear beards because of a skin
condition, according to the
lawsuit.
This year, the department
asked the two men for new
documentation of their medical
conditions and decided not to
continue the medical
accommodation.
The suit says the men also put
in requests for religious
accommodation, but those were
rejected by the agency.
— Associated Press


PENNSYLVANIA


No more prison time


for rapper under deal


Rapper Meek Mill pleaded
guilty to a misdemeanor gun


charge Tuesday and won’t serve
more time in prison after
reaching a plea agreement in a
case that has kept him on
probation for most of his adult
life.
The negotiated plea comes
after an appeals court threw out
the 2007 conviction of the 32-
year-old rapper, born Robert
Williams, last month.
He had served about two years
in prison in the case, and a judge
decided he won’t have to spend
additional time behind bars or on
probation.
Williams has called the 12-year
ordeal “mentally and emotionally
challenging” but said millions of
people face the same issues. He
has become an activist for criminal
justice policy changes since he was
sent back to prison in 2017 for
technical violations he blamed on
his erratic travel schedule as his
career soared. He spent five
months locked up before an
appeals court granted him bail.
Last month, a Pennsylvania
appeals court overturned the
conviction, saying new evidence
undermined the credibility of the
officer who testified against the
rapper at his trial and made it
likely he would be acquitted if the
case were retried.
— Associated Press

OKLAHOMA


Tornado knocks out
power for thousands

A storm spawned a weak
tornado in central Oklahoma, left
thousands without power from
that state into Arkansas, and led
to about a dozen high-water
rescues.
National Weather Service
meteorologist Phil Ware said
Tuesday that a tornado damaged
a home, downed trees and
destroyed a barn Monday night
in Logan County, about 20 miles
north of downtown Oklahoma
City.
No injuries were reported.
Oklahoma City Fire Capt.
David Macy said firefighters
rescued about a dozen motorists
from high water and a fisherman
who was trapped by rising water
on a lake.
Some Oklahoma schools that
lost power closed Tuesday.
Oklahoma Gas & Electric
reported about 34,000 outages
Tuesday afternoon. More than
66,000 customers from that
utility and Public Service
Company of Oklahoma were
without electricity.
— Associated Press

DIGEST


JESSICA GRIFFIN/PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER/ASSOCIATED PRESS
Rapper Meek Mill, center, pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor gun charge
Tuesday after he reached a plea agreement in a case that has kept him
on probation for most of his adult life. He was incarcerated for two
years, and a judge said he wouldn’t have to spend more time behind
bars. Mill has taken up the cause of a criminal justice overhaul.

Politics & the Nation


BY MARK BERMAN


Four employees of a South Flor-
ida nursing home where a dozen
people died amid sweltering heat
in September 2017 were arrested
and charged with manslaughter
and tampering with evidence, po-
lice said Tuesday.
In announcing the charges, po-
lice officials assailed the four em-
ployees — the facility’s adminis-
trator and three nurses — and said
the deaths were all avoidable.
“This was a terrible tragedy that
never should have happened,” said
Chris O’Brien, chief of police in
Hollywood, Fla.
The charges came nearly two
years after the deaths at the Reha-
bilitation Center at Hollywood
Hills, a nursing home not far from
Fort Lauderdale, which overheat-
ed after Hurricane Irma swept
through the region with powerful
rain and wind.
The deaths of the patients —
who ranged in age from 57 to 99,
with the oldest victim a few weeks
away from turning 100 — sparked
intense outrage as well as a round
of finger-pointing over who was
responsible and what happened.
During hurricanes and other dis-
asters, power outages are an acute
threat to the elderly, who tend to
be more susceptible to heat-relat-
ed illnesses.
Days after Irma battered South
Florida, the nursing home’s air
conditioning began to fail, and
temperatures began to climb.
Emergency personnel began re-
sponding to the nursing home ear-
ly on Sept. 13, 2017, and eventually
evacuated the entire facility.
A dozen patients died — some
days and weeks later — and the
medical examiner concluded that
all of the deaths were homicides
caused by heat exposure. Authori-
ties have said some patients had
body temperatures as high as
109.9 degrees.
O’Brien said during a news
briefing announcing the criminal
charges that the relatives of the
victims “placed their faith and
trust in the Rehabilitation Center

of Hollywood Hills... and that
trust was betrayed. They have
been living an absolute night-
mare.”
Among those charged were
Jorge Carballo, 61, the administra-
tor, and Sergo Colin, 45, the night
shift’s nursing supervisor. Each
man was charged with 12 counts of
aggravated manslaughter, one for
each of the victims.
Tamika Tory Miller, 31, and Al-
thia Kenesha Meggie, 36, both
nurses, were charged with man-
slaughter as well as tampering
with evidence in the case, accord-
ing to the arrest warrants. Miller

was charged with six counts of
aggravated manslaughter and
three counts of tampering with or
fabricating evidence in connec-
tion with patient medical records.
Meggie was charged with two
counts of aggravated manslaugh-
ter and two counts of tampering or
fabricating medical record evi-
dence.
James A. Cobb Jr., an attorney
for Carballo, described his reac-
tion to the charges as “complete
shock and horror.” Cobb pointed
to the manslaughter counts and
said Carballo was particularly dis-
tressed by “the notion that he
didn’t care for these people,” not-
ing that the administrator had
family members — his wife’s fa-
ther and uncle — residing in the
facility at the time.
Cobb said he felt Carballo and
the others were charged as scape-
goats by the government for “their

own mistakes, which are legion,
and to place the blame as far down
the food chain as they can possibly
go.”
Other attorneys did not im-
mediately respond to requests for
comment Tuesday.
All of the crimes are felonies,
police said. They did not elaborate
in the warrants or the news con-
ference about the evidence tam-
pering charges, but state officials
have said that nursing home offi-
cials added entries to medical rec-
ords later to give a false depiction
of what happened.
Hollywood Police Maj. Steven
Bolger said the investigation is
ongoing and more arrests are ex-
pected, although he did not speci-
fy who else might face charges.
Nursing home executives have
said they contacted Rick Scott, the
state’s then-governor, and Florida
Power and Light, the utility giant,
pleading for help. State and local
authorities, though, disputed
parts of those accounts and criti-
cized what they called “egregious”
failures at the facility. The Agency
for Health Care Administration in
Florida said the nursing home
waited too long to call 911 and then
was too slow in evacuating pa-
tients.
Scott, now a Republican sena-
tor representing Florida, said in a
statement that he was “glad these
individuals are being held ac-
countable.” In a statement Tues-
day, Florida Power and Light said
that part of the nursing home still
had power, adding that “there was
a hospital with power across the
parking lot from this facility, and
the nursing home was required to
have a permanently installed, op-
erational generator.”
An administrative law judge
who recommended revoking the
nursing home’s license noted sev-
eral issues combined to cause the
conditions in September 2017. But
the judge concluded that “ulti-
mately the patients were depend-
ent on Hollywood Hills to recog-
nize the danger and to keep them
safe.”
[email protected]

Florida nursing home workers


charged in 2017 heat deaths


“[The relatives] placed


their faith and trust in


the Rehabilitation


Center of Hollywood


Hills ... and that trust


was betrayed.”
Chris O’Brien, Hollywood police chief

(202) 816-8844 (703) 565-2375 (301) 841-


MHIC #125450 • VA #2705 108835

202-869-1044 DC


703-468-4418 VA


301-841-8308 MD
Lifetime Warranty Locally Owned & Operated

SunSuites Sunroom


Summer Special


$
2,500 OFF
Wiiththhis cooupoon. NoNt vvalid withhothher ooff erss orpprior salees.
Couupon goodoupon initiaalpreesentnatioon onnly.
Limmited timeeoff ffer. PPricee incluudess experpt installlatioon.

SunSuites Sunrooms


Summer
Screen Room

Special
BUY NOW AND

SAVE


$
1,
Some restrictions apply

Payments
as low as
$

Enjoy the Outdoors All Year!


Ask about Showcase Home Program Discount!


202-794-8188 • 703-910-3653 • 301-841-


PAYMENTS AS LOW AS $


OWENS CORNING BASEMENT FINISHING SYSTEM



  • Thermal & Acoustic Insulation for Comfort and Quiet

  • Resists Mold & Mildew*

  • Durable, Dent-Resistant & Maintenance Free Walls

  • Easy Access to Foundation, Pipes & Electrical Boxes

  • Limited Lifetime Warranty

  • Class A Fire Rating • Paintable Walls


TURN YOUR UNUSED BASEMENT INTO


YOUR FAVORITE ROOM IN ABOUT 2 WEEKS!


Valid with coupon only. New customers only. Not valid with
other promotional offers or on previously scheduled projects.
Please present coupon at time of appointment.

COMPLETE FINISHED BASEMENT


$2500 OFF


MHIC #
DC #
VA #2705 108835A
Free download pdf