november | december 2019 24
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine spiced rum,
cherries, pineapple, crystallized ginger, and orange, and
heat on high until hot, 2 to 3 minutes; let stand at room
temperature for at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Drain
fruit mixture. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 4 baking sheets
with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fi tted with the paddle
attachment, beat butter, 1¼ cups (250 grams) granulated
sugar, and brown sugar at medium speed until fl uff y, 2 to
3 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs,
one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in rum
- In a medium bowl, whisk together fl our, baking soda, salt,
nutmeg, cinnamon, ground ginger, and cloves. Add fl our
mixture to butter mixture all at once; beat at low speed just
until combined, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Fold in
fruit mixture and pecans. (Dough will be sticky.)
- Place remaining ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar on
a rimmed plate. Using a 2-tablespoon spring-loaded scoop,
scoop dough, and shape into balls (42 grams each). Roll
in sugar, and place 1½ to 2 inches apart on prepared pans.
Using the palm of your hand, gently fl atten balls to 1-inch
- Bake until light golden brown and set around the edges,
about 12 minutes. Let cool on pans for 3 minutes. Remove
from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Place
Rum Drizzle in a piping bag, and cut a 1⁄4-inch opening in tip.
Drizzle onto cooled cookies.
Makes about ½ cup
1 cup (120 grams) confectioners’ sugar
1½ tablespoons (22.5 grams) heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon (15 grams) spiced rum
2 teaspoons (10 grams) unsalted butter, melted
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a medium bowl, stir together all ingredients until
smooth. Use immediately.