108 101 Activities for Teaching Creativity and Problem Solving
Clichés, Proverbs, and Maxims Handout
- A friend in need is a friend indeed.
- A penny saved is a penny earned.
- A rolling stone gathers no moss.
- A stitch in time saves nine.
- Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
- Actions speak louder than words.
- All roads lead to Rome.
- All that glitters is not gold.
- All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
- An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
- Beggars can’t be choosers.
- Better late than never.
- Better safe than sorry.
- Big oaks from little acorns grow.
- Don’t bite off more than you can chew.
- Don’t borrow from Peter to pay Paul.
- Don’t burn a candle at both ends.
- Don’t put all your eggs into one basket.
- Don’t rock the boat.
- Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.
- Every cloud has a silver lining.
- Experience is the best teacher.
- Familiarity breeds contempt.
- Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.
- For every drop of rain that falls, a flower grows.
- Forewarned is forearmed.
- Go ahead. Make my day!
- Good fences make good neighbors.
- He who hesitates is lost.
- He who tends a fig tree will eat its fruit.
- His bark is worse than his bite.
- It never rains but it pours.
101 Activities for Teaching Creativity and Problem Solving.Copyright © 2005 by John Wiley &
Sons, Inc. Reproduced by permission of Pfeiffer, an Imprint of Wiley. http://www.pfeiffer.com
05 VG 77-118b 10/5/04 5:05 PM Page 108