Scale aviation modeller international

(Barré) #1
only fit issue I had with the entire
kit; everything else went together
perfectly, and any snags from this
point on were due to my mistakes.
With all the interior components
completed and assembled, it was
time to glue the fuselage halves
together. I was a bit worried about
the fit and how the interior would fit
with in the fuselage, but my worries
quickly passed as everything
went together without a fuss.
I clamped the fuselage together
to dry, but unfortunately the
pressure from the clamps caused
the two sides to shift, which meant
that I needed quite a bit of putty
to clean up the joint. Had I been
paying more attention I believe I
could have avoided this totally.
Next, I attached the tail and
stabilizers to the rear of the
fuselage. You have the option of
posing the control surfaces, but I
decided to keep them straight and
level. I found an easy way to keep
them still while they dried was to
place small pieces of masking tape
across the two parts. I then applied
Tamiya Extra Thin Cement to the
joints and after an hour or so it
had dried, sturdy and straight.
The wing sections are very
solid pieces with quite a bit of
weight to them, and I was worried

as to how this would affect the
overall structure of the model.
Surprisingly though, most of the
model is very strong and sturdy.
The only small exception
is in the landing gear braces.
These would teeter if I set the
model down at a slight angle
and wobble. I quickly learned to
place it straight down, and never
had any problems after that, but
I really wished I had invested
in Scale Aircraft Conversions
white metal legs (32126).
Finally I came to the stage
I was really looking forward
to, painting the model.

The painting guide calls for Tamiya
XF-12 J.N. Grey for the undersides.
I have used this color a lot when
building WWII Japanese Aircraft,
and it’s a great looking colour,
but I wanted to obtain a more
subtle varied shade of light blue.
I started by painting the
entire underside Tamiya XF-
Light Blue. This colour isn’t too
dominant and provided a nice
blue tint. Next I painted the ribs
on the wing, which I wanted to be
darker but also subtle. I decided
to try Tamiya XF-53 Neutral Grey,
which I thinned quite a bit, and I
also added a few drops of acrylic

paint retarder. I set my airbrush on
a low pressure and thinly painted
along the ribs, trying to keep
them uneven and a bit blotchy.
Lastly I painted the entire
underside with the suggested
XF-12. I thinned this paint quite
a bit as well, and reduced the air
pressure even more. I then painted
in between the dark grey ribs,




Excellent details properly display the instrument dials

Rear gunner and
camera, details


014-21-FEAT-Ninak-0618.indd 16 11/05/2018 15:

Free download pdf