Scale Aviation Modeller International — February 2018

(Jacob Rumans) #1
comprises eleven parts, which
include separate mounting frames,
top cover, chin-mounted oil
tank, and other sundry items.

Alclad Grey Primer was used
sparingly along all of the joins
and re-scribed panel lines to
highlight any problems that
might require further work. Only
the flaps needed attention, due
to the previously mentioned sink
marks along their entire length.
Several applications of primer and
filler were airbrushed across both

flaps, and, once the primer had
dried, the sink marks were slowly
polished out using dampened
Micro Mesh sanding cloths.
I camouflaged my “Anton”
using Colourcoats enamels, which
I applied over a solid black base
coat. I began by airbrushing the
darker of the two greens, roughly
mapping out the camouflage
pattern on the upper surfaces of
the model. I allowed a hint of the
black base coat to show through
at the panel edges, immediately
creating a weathered look.
Once the darker green had dried,
I used tape to mask the hard-edged
camouflage pattern, before applying

the lighter of the two greens. There
is very little contrast between
the greens, but by weathering
the colours as I went along, I
reduced the subtle difference. The
weathering was achieved by mixing
slightly lighter shades of green
and pale grey into the paint as I
went. These lighter “filters” were
used to create a patchwork effect
over the base colours to suggest
fading and wear, as no real aircraft
is ever a uniform colour overall.
Having allowed the upper
surfaces to dry overnight, I
airbrushed the pale blue, though
this time I used tacky “sausages”
to re-create the soft-edged
demarcation line – I had been
sent some Wilder products by
The Airbrush Company to try,
and amongst them was a pack of
Wilder Takk, a malleable, low-
tack putty that comes in a flat,
scored sheet, which can be used

in a myriad of applications. This
I rolled into lengths to form the
masks, against which I sprayed the
pale blue. I used RLM65, though
it should be noted that the kit
instructions recommend RLM62,
which is a green grey colour, and
is almost certainly incorrect.
I tend not to use the multitude of
commercially available weathering
products that have recently flooded
the market, sticking instead to
my tried and trusted methods. I
therefore used black and brown
enamels, thinned into a wash,
to create depth to the panel
lines that formed the edges of
cowlings, and the panels that were
detachable on the real aircraft.
Control surfaces, too, were edged
by darkened shades of the original
camouflage colours to make them
appear distinct from the rest of the
airframe. Finally, after I applied the
decals, I airbrushed pale brown and
grey enamel along the wing root
walkways, and applied dark brown
exhaust staining along the fuselage.
A set of canopy masks is



012-17-FEAT-Bf109-0218.indd 15 12/01/2018 11:

Free download pdf