Scale Aviation Modeller International — February 2018

(Jacob Rumans) #1
kept them for fitting until the end.
To add the guns to the model, I
fitted the ones on the fuselage sides
to a U-bracket on the sill of the side
windows, and braced them down
to the floor using microrod. (In
the actual aircraft, ammo was fed
downwards from magazines in the
ceiling, spent cases were sent down
a chute and into a bag attached to
the left side of the gun, and links
were collected in a hung bag.)
I now added ammo belts and
chutes taken from Eduard’s set 73

  1. It was scary bending these
    to shape, and I only succeeded
    once I realised that they should
    be annealed over a flame, to make
    the metal more pliable. Placing the
    ammo belt inside the chute, before
    bending, makes things easier.
    The 12.7 mm Breda-SAFAT at
    the rear of the gondola was also
    fixed to a U-bracket. On the aircraft,
    it was supplied by a magazine
    mounted across the middle of the
    fuselage, but in a canted position
    to assist a smooth ammo supply.
    There was no chute for this gun, as
    the ammunition belt fed directly
    into the gun. I scratch-built a
    magazine and support structure for

this, but I overlooked the correct
canted positioning. If you wish
to rig an ammo belt between the
magazine and the gun, at this point
you will have to add the gondola
to the right side of the fuselage.
Finally, I fitted the rear-defence
12.7 mm gun, at the aft end of the
hump, to another U-bracket. Eduard
provides this gun with several
hoppers: Part 21 is for spent casings
and Part 20 is storage, in a stack, for
fresh ammo magazines. The gun’s
“active” magazine was located

in a housing fitted down between
tubing on the left side of the support
structure. This is just a plain box
and is easy to scratch-build.
I was now able to spray the
inside of the fuselage shells and
all other interior parts using verde
anticorrosione. I selected No. C120
from my dwindling collection of the
defunct DBI range of enamels, but
alternatives are Humbrol 90 Matt
Beige Green, and the acrylic Tamiya
XF-21 Sky. When dry, I added dark
washes into recesses and corners.

I then set about the pleasant task
of fitting the instrument panels,
radio faces, guns, seats, etc,
not forgetting the tailwheel.
With this preliminary work out
of the way, I finally came to the
happy task of joining the fuselage
halves. When done, and once the
landing light in the nose was
installed, I could add an “engine
bearer” for the central engine.
The S.79’s actual engine bearers
were not visible, as they were
hidden away behind light metal
cone-shaped fairings. Airfix offers
nothing like these, but I used Part
84 from a Supermodel kit of the
S.81, although the wide end needed
to be further widened, by a couple of
laminations of 20 thou plasticard,
to achieve the correct size for the
S.79’s characteristic “notched”
collar behind the centre engine.

I had long decided that I wanted
to depict the control surfaces in
displaced positions. Using a good
drawing (I would recommend
Ali d’Italia No. 9), and without
any assembly first, I marked
and cut out the areas of slats and
flaps, and enlarged the aileron
areas. A second kit was used to
donate the actual control surfaces
(making for an easier life).
All cut edges were trued up
using files and sanding sticks
and blocks, but note that, on the
upper wing surface, there is a


082-89-VP-Sm79-0218.indd 84 12/01/2018 12:10

Free download pdf