Los Angeles Times - 26.08.2019

(Jeff_L) #1

D6 MONDAY, AUGUST 26, 2019 LATIMES.COM/SPORTS


NEW YORK
— Sentiment
will be with
Roger Federer
and Rafael
Nadal at this
year’s U.S.
Open, as it
usually is.
They’re adored in a city
that’s tough to impress,
Federer earning reverence
for his balletic genius in
winning five of his 20 Grand
Slam singles champi-
onships here and Nadal
winning hearts with his grit
and those fearsome topspin
forehands while claiming
three of his 18 Slams in New
York.
Compared to the two
senior members of tennis’
Big Three, Novak Djokovic
is respected more than
universally loved. The
world’s No. 1-ranked player
isn’t as smooth as Federer
or as quirky as the passion-
ate Nadal, but Djokovic is
wholeheartedly throwing
himself into the madness
that happens each year at
the Billie Jean King Na-
tional Tennis Center.
A victory here — where
Djokovic beat Juan Martin
del Potro in straight sets in
last year’s final and has
reached at least the semifin-
als every time he has played
starting in 2007 — would be
his third Slam title this
season and fifth in the last
six. Like him or love him,
that’s impressive.
“I really do enjoy that
loud atmosphere that hap-
pens in there, which is quite
the opposite of, for example,
Wimbledon, except the last
finals match,” Djokovic said
of playing in noisy Arthur
Ashe Stadium, where he will
begin pursuit of his 17th
Slam title on Monday
against Roberto Carballes
Baena of Spain. “And I think


you just adjust to it. You
adapt to it. You accept it.
You embrace it. I do em-
brace it because I think it’s
good for our sport to have
various different atmos-
pheres on the center courts
of four different Slams that
are very unique and obvi-
ously the biggest events in
our sport.”
Djokovic acknowledged
he’s focusing on passing
Federer’s Slams total. “I am
32 so things are a little bit
different than they were 10
years ago, but I still feel
young inside and outside,”
Djokovic said. “And I still
am very motivated to keep
going and especially at this
stage. I mean, it always has
been the case but, especially
now, more or less everything
is about Grand Slams in
terms of how I see tennis
and how I approach them
because, you know, they
matter the most.”
Nadal, 33, had to retire

from his U.S. Open semifi-
nal against Del Potro last
year because of a knee in-
jury aggravated by playing
several long matches but he
said his knees feel better
now. He will play his first
match on Tuesday, against
John Millman of Australia.
Nadal is in the opposite
half of the draw from
Djokovic and Federer but
was cautious about whether
that will give him an edge.
“Let’s see if I am able to do
my work for my side,” said
Nadal, who routed rising
Russian Daniil Medvedev to
win the recent Rogers Cup
tournament. “I have to win
my matches to have an
advantage because I only
can meet them in the semi-
finals.” No. 3 seed Federer
hasn’t won the U.S. Open
since 2008, the last of his five
straight triumphs. He
squandered two match
points over Djokovic in a
five-set loss at this year’s

Wimbledon final and has
played only one tournament
since then, losing to Andrey
Rublev in the round of 16 at
Cincinnati, but he has a
relatively favorable draw. He
will open Monday night
against qualifier Sumit
Nagal of India.
Behind the Big Three are
a jumble of maybes. Among
them are Medvedev, who
recently cracked the top five
in the rankings for the first
time; talented but undisci-
plined Nick Kyrgios; No. 4
seed Dominic Thiem of
Austria; Canadian teenager
Felix Auger-Aliassime, and
22-year-old Alexander
Zverev of Germany, whose
rise has been stalled by a
dispute with his agent and a
coaching change. “It’s the
first time in probably a few
years where I’m not a favor-
ite in any way at a Grand
Slam, and it takes some
pressure off,” Zverev said
last week. Kevin Anderson

of South Africa, the 2017
runner-up, withdrew be-
cause of a right knee injury,
and Milos Raonic of Cana-
da, who was seeded 21st,
withdrew because of a glute
injury.
None of the potential
contenders is American.
That’s nothing new: No
American man has won the
U.S. Open since Andy Rod-
dick in 2003. The only
American men to reach the
last 63 Slam finals are Rod-
dick (at the U.S. Open in
2006 and at Wimbledon in
2004, 2005 and 2009) and
Andre Agassi (2005 U.S.
Open). The highest-seeded
American this year is injury-
plagued John Isner at 14,
followed by No. 26 Taylor
Fritz of Palos Verdes.
“I think that certainly
would be helpful if we had an
American player that was
competing with the likes of

the top dogs, there’s no
question about that,” said
John McEnroe, who won
seven Grand Slam singles
titles and nine Slam doubles
championships and is now
an ESPN commentator.
“We’re in a frustrating pe-
riod that’s continuing, and
hopefully that will change
sooner rather than later.”
Fans here and those
watching on TV will benefit
from changes initiated by
the U.S. Tennis Assn. to
clarify the application of
rules. The ugliness and
confusion that marred last
year’s final between Serena
Williams and Naomi Osaka
is the reason there’s a new
tournament referee, Soeren
Friemel, who will provide
explanations to broadcast-
ers and other media. It’s
also the reason rules will be
displayed on video boards in
each stadium before each
match and an announce-
ment will be made when
violations are called against
players. In the semifinals
and finals an official will
take to Twitter to explain
the rules. Incidentally, the
chair umpire of the
Williams-Osaka match,
Carolos Ramos, won’t offici-
ate matches involving Ser-
ena or Venus Williams this
year, though Friemel said
Ramos is still considered to
work “all high-profile
matches.”
In addition, Friemel said
the existing one-five-one
rule — one minute for the
player to come to the pre-
match meeting, a five-min-
ute warmup and one minute
to start the point — will be
enforced. Also, there will be
only one bathroom or cloth-
ing change break permitted
in a women’s best-of-three
match, down from two, and
two breaks permitted in
men’s best-of-five matches.
Let the madness begin,
in all its noisy glory.

U.S. Open


facts


Where: USTA Billie Jean
King National Tennis
Center in New York,
hard-court surfaces.
When: The 14-day
tournament begins today.
The women’s singles final
is Sept. 7; the men’s
singles final is Sept. 8.
2018 women’s singles
champion: Naomi Osaka of
Japan. She won her first
Grand Slam event trophy
at age 20 by beating
Serena Williams 6-2, 6-4 in
the final.
2018 men’s singles
champion: Novak Djokovic
of Serbia. He won his 14th
major title and second in a
row with a 6-3, 7-6 (4), 6-3
victory over 2009
champion Juan Martin del
Potro.
— associated press

No peace, quiet for ‘motivated’ Djokovic


HELENE ELLIOTT


NOVAK DJOKOVIC, the world’s No. 1-ranked player, appreciates the craziness of
the U.S. Open. “I do embrace it because I think it’s good for our sport ....” he says.

Matthew StockmanGetty Images

not a long-term basis,” Kelly
said. “Never been that way,
never will be that way.”
Kelly was never going to
replicate his Oregon results
at UCLA, at least initially.
The Bruins played a school-
record 21 freshmen last sea-
son, including quarterback
Dorian Thompson-Rob-
inson, and were rocked by a
rash of defections and in-
juries as well as a lack of dis-
cipline that led to the sus-
pension of six players before
the opening game.
Kelly also realized that he
had tremendous leeway af-
ter signing on at a program
that has not been a signifi-
cant player on the national
level in two decades. The
coach treated his first sea-
son at UCLA “like an ex-
tended spring training,” ac-
cording to one booster, con-
tinually tinkering with his
scheme and personnel.
The team started 0-5 and
ended up losing more games
than Kelly had during his
stint at Oregon, though that
didn’t necessarily make it a
lost season. The coach im-
plemented a sports science
program that players have
praised for keeping them
healthy and rested, and
making them bigger, faster
and stronger. As Kelly evalu-
ated his players, they mas-
tered his schemes. That fa-
miliarity could allow a team
that has nine returning
starters on offense and 10 on
defense to increase the

small fortune to the school,
“changed nothing as far as
the impression of Chip.” The
booster, who spoke on con-
dition of anonymity because
he believed publicly reveal-
ing his identity could com-
promise his standing within
the athletic department,
said a winning record would
be a plus in Kelly’s second
season, which starts Thurs-
day with the opener at Cin-
cinnati.
Far more important, the
booster said, is continuing a
trajectory that builds off the
end of last season. The Bru-
ins averaged 31 points and
475 yards of offense over
their final four games, when
Kelly’s playcalling always
seemed to be one step ahead
of his counterparts.
Those numbers sparked
reminders of Kelly’s dizzying
success at Oregon. The
Ducks routinely pummeled
opponents on the way to a
46-7 record under Kelly, win-
ning three Pac-12 Confer-
ence titles and playing for
the national championship
at the end of the 2010 season.
Anyone waiting for Kelly
to unveil a timetable for
achieving those sorts of
things at UCLA will be sorely
disappointed. He has never
laid out a plan, publicly or
privately, for reaching a ma-
jor bowl game or the College
Football Playoff by any
deadline. “We’ve always ap-
proached it on a daily basis,


tempo, becoming more ag-
gressive. It’s the first time
since 2015 that UCLA will go
into a season without whole-
sale changes on offense.
“We were watching film
the other day and everyone
is just so much better” than
last season, redshirt fresh-
man receiver Kyle Philips
said. “All the guys are
playing a lot faster, every-
body knows their role and
what to do.”
Players have also gushed
about a culture change in
the locker room. The team
has become a player-run
program, linebacker Jason
Harris said, allowing
coaches to focus on blitzes
instead of bed checks. Kelly
said the team achieved its
highest grade-point average
ever during the spring quar-
ter, when 31 players earned
at least a 3.0 GPA while com-
pleting 12 units or more. Pre-
dictably, there have been
some bumps on the road to
redemption. Linebacker
Keisean Lucier-South, the
team’s top returning pass
rusher, must sit out at least
the first three games be-
cause of academic short-
comings. And UCLA an-
nounced Sunday that line-
backer Bo Calvert would be
sidelined indefinitely be-
cause of unspecified NCAA
rules.
Repeated recruiting
misses have triggered some
anxiety among fans, though
Kelly has said he doesn’t see

his future aligned with the
stars allotted to the players
he has signed; he expressed
confidence that his recruit-
ing classes have stocked the
team with enough high-
character talent to succeed.
The surest way to erase
any lingering doubts about
Kelly after four middling
NFL seasons and a clunker
in his return to the college
game is to pile up the victo-
ries that usually come only
on Saturday. There is a high
level of confidence among
boosters and athletic de-
partment officials that it will
happen based on Kelly’s
track record at Oregon and
his reputation as an innova-
tor.
But there are limits to the
patience. The same booster
who said early results aren’t
important also acknowl-
edged that Kelly won’t be

able to go 3-9 indefinitely;
the coach will need to have
some success by the end of
his third season to remain
considered the home run
hire who invigorated the fan
base upon his arrival in No-
vember 2017. Although
UCLA’s schedule this season
includes No. 4 Oklahoma
and consecutive road games
to open Pac-12 play, it eases
up considerably in 2020,
when the nonconference op-
ponents are New Mexico
State, Hawaii and San Diego
State.
Of course, the Bruins
don’t want to wait another
year to win. But neither suc-
cess nor failure appears ca-
pable of altering the ap-
proach of their coach.
“We’re not dictated by
the record,” Kelly said. “We
have a plan going in and we’ll
always follow that plan.”

CHIP KELLYof UCLA says he doesn’t set achieve-
ment timetables for a program and never will.

Luis SincoLos Angeles Times

Kelly is focused on plan


to make Bruins relevant


[UCLA,from D1]


The crowd chanting and
rushing to circle the 18th
green. It sounded so familiar
to Rory McIlroy at East
Lake, with one difference.
Sunday, it was for him.
One year after he was an
overlooked bystander as Ti-
ger Woods celebrated the
missing piece of his come-
back by winning the Tour
Championship in Atlanta,
McIlroy surged past Brooks
Koepka and delivered a
clutch par putt when he
needed it to win the FedEx
Cup and the $15-million
prize, the biggest payout in
golf history.
With two final birdies,
McIlroy closed with a four-
under-par 66 to end a long
day at the storm-delayed
Tour Championship and fin-
ished four shots ahead of
Xander Schauffele. He
joined Woods as the only
players to win the FedEx
Cup twice since it began in
2007.
He smiled at hearing the
chants of “Ro-ry!” from a
gallery that came under the
ropes on the 18th hole to
watch the finish.
“I didn’t enjoy that walk
last year like everyone else
did,” McIlroy said. “I never
took the fight to Tiger.”
McIlroy was keeping
score to the very end. The
format was changed this
year to give top players a
head start based on par de-
pending on their standing in
the FedEx Cup. Justin
Thomas was the No. 1 seed
and started at 10 under be-
fore a shot was hit. McIlroy
was the No. 5 seed and
started at five under.
He finished at 18 under in
the FedEx Cup finale. His
actual score was 13-under
267, best in the 30-man field.
It will boost him to No. 2 in
the world behind Koepka.

Other events
Brandt Jobe shot a nine-
under 63 to win the Boeing
Classic in Snoqualmie,
Wash., by three shots over
Tom Pernice Jr. for his sec-
ond PGA Tour Champions
title. ... Top-ranked Jin
Young Ko closed with an
eight-under 64 to win the
LPGA CP Women’s Open in
Aurora, Canada, by five
shots over Nicole Broch
Larsen.

GOLF ROUNDUP

McIlroy


hits the


jackpot


associated press

UCLA released its depth
chart Sunday, and it wasn’t
exactly high drama.
Sophomore Dorian
Thompson-Robinson, who
has spent all of training
camp leading the first-team
offense, was listed as the
starting quarterback.
Freshman Sean Rhyan, who
has worked with the first-
team offensive line in recent
days after an injury to team-
mate Alec Anderson, was
listed as the starting left
tackle.
Thompson-Robinson
was widely expected to take
the Bruins’ first snap in their
season opener at Cincinnati


on Thursday after starting
seven games last season. He
beat out redshirt sopho-
more Austin Burton, whose
improvement over the last
year has made him viewed as
a capable backup.
“He knows what he needs
to do and how we look to him
to lead us on offense,” tight
end Jordan Wilsonsaid of
Thompson-Robinson, “and
he’s really taken a step
toward being that leader.”
Wilson was listed as a
starter over Devin Asiasi,
though Wilson noted that
the starting designation at
tight end isn’t important be-
cause of coach Chip Kelly’s
tendency to use multiple
tight ends.
There was a mild surprise

at wide receiver, where All-
Pac-12 Conference hon-
orable mention selection
Theo Howardwas listed as
the backup to Jaylen Erwin,
a junior college transfer.
Chase Cotaand Demetric
Feltonwere listed as the
other starting receivers.
Howard’s status as a backup
to open the season might
merely be a function of him
returning from a wrist injury
that slowed him during
training camp.
A notable defensive de-
velopment was that the Bru-
ins listed Elijah Wadeas the
starter at outside linebacker
even though he had spent
much of preseason practice
at defensive end. Leni
Toailoa, who had completed

walk-throughs with the first-
string defense at outside
linebacker during parts of
practice open to the media,
was listed as a backup at in-
side linebacker behind his
older brother, Lokeni, and
Krys Barnes.
As expected, graduate
transfer Wade Lees was
listed as the starting punter.

Calvert out
The Bruins’ depth at in-
side linebacker was further
thinned when the school an-
nounced that sophomore Bo
Calvertwould be sidelined
indefinitely because of an
unspecified NCAA rule.
Kelly was not available to
comment and is not sched-
uled to speak with reporters

until Monday.
Calvert played in five
games during an injury-
plagued 2018 season, making
nine tackles.
The Bruins were already
without inside linebacker
Tyree Thompson, a proj-
ected starter who recently
had foot surgery that is ex-
pected to sideline him for an
indefinite period.

Etc.
Cornerback Darnay
Holmes, who recently re-
turned from a minor injury,
was not seen on the field dur-
ing the portion of practice
open to the media. ... Ander-
son continued to work on the
sideline with a trainer dur-
ing the start of practice.

UCLA FOOTBALL REPORT


Thompson-Robinson set to start at quarterback


By Ben Bolch

Free download pdf